“When You Need to Know There is Something Bigger than This” Psalm 139
1) God who omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent. Omniscience = all knowing. Omnipresence = all present. Omnipotence = all powerful. We often hope that our leaders and heroes (entertainers, sports stars, politicians, bosses, teachers etc.) will have those characteristics. Thinking of someone you have looked up to or followed, in what ways did this expectation meet reality? In what ways does every human not meet this expectation?
2) Do you think every human hopes that someone or something will have at least one of these attributes? Why or why not?
3) Read Isaiah 40:9-31. What verses speak about the knowledge, presence or power of God? Verse 9 tells us that this is good news – why is this good news for you?
4) Read Psalm 139:1-18. Verse 4 tells us that God even knows our thoughts. Verse 7-8 tells us that God is everywhere with us. How is this knowledge both scary and comforting?
5) Read Ephesians 1:18-20. How does God’s power connect to what he knows about us?
6) Psalms 139:13-16 says that God was making us before birth. What would you say to someone who does not believe that their life has a purpose?
7) Verse 17-18 tells us that God is thinking about us even when we are not thinking about Him. Knowing that God in Jesus actually died for your sins and rose for you – you personally – what do you believe God is thinking about you?