Living the Truth: God Above, God Beside, God Within
1 JOHN 2:18-29
Pastor Wayne Driedger, January 29, 2017
A great relationship with God is knowing God Above, God Beside, God Within
The Truth about the Trinity: One God in Three Persons
A great relationship is based on knowing the truth about the person
How to Truly Live:
- God is above you as your Heavenly Father
No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also. 1 John 2:23
- God is beside you so you can enjoy eternal life
As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is what he promised us—eternal life. 1 John 2:24-25
If Jesus is not God – he is not a great teacher or good guy….he’s a fake. It’s fake news!
19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us. 1 John 2:19
Why do some leave their faith? Four Possible Reasons:
1.Never had it in the first place – cultural Christianity 2.Disillusioned by trials 2.Sucked in by pleasures of this world 3.Arrogance – don’t feel they need it.
- God is within you to teach you the truth about everything
27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him. 1 John 2:27
GROWTH GROUP QUESTIONS
1. Looking at the sermon notes from this week, was there a point or verse that challenged you or caught your attention?
2. This passage talks about the truth about who God is as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Have you ever come in contact with people/groups or teaching that does not believe in the three persons of the trinity as defined in the bible? Why do you think it is so important have a truthful understanding of God?
3. In John 17:24 Jesus prays to the Father –
“Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.” What does this say about the time span of the father/son relationship that Jesus had? What would you say to someone who says that Jesus is a good man/teacher/prophet or just the first of many sons?
4. John 2:19 talks about some who have been in the church and left. Have you ever been surprised to see someone take a major detour or even walk away from the truth when it seemed they were solidly grounded in their commitment to Jesus? Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation?
5. Some people actively teach and want to convince others of lies that they have come to believe about God. Others are misinformed or misguided about who God/Jesus and the Holy Spirit are. How should we relate to each group? How can we be sure we stay in the truth as we relate to each group?
6. God above, God beside and God within – Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Is there one person of the trinity that you personally tend to focus on more than the others? How could it help you in your spiritual growth to emphasize another aspect of God that you may have been unintentionally overlooking?