Growth Group Questions
1 Timothy 4 – Wayne Driedger
1) In 1 Timothy 4:10 it says that we put our hope in a living God. Describe the difference between hoping in a living God as opposed to “having a spirituality” or “being a spiritual person”.
2) In verses 1-6 Paul describes people who lose faith and teach their own laws (legalism). King David, Paul and Jesus each talked about God’s law. Check out Psalms 19:7-11, Romans 7:7 and Matthew 22:34-40. How do these passages help us understand the law without becoming legalistic?
3) Both physical training and spiritual training have value – vs 8. Can you think of benefits for each? Why do you think Paul says that training for godliness has a higher priority? How do you keep your priorities balanced?
4) Verses 12-14 talk about setting a good example and using your gifts. Why do you think Paul talks about both example and giftedness next to each other?
5) What is lost (to others and to ourselves) if we “neglect our gift” vs14?
6) Godly character is worth so much. Something that is worth much usually costs much. Check out Matthew 26:6-10. What was the personal and relational cost or the woman’s commitment to serve Jesus?